Friday, February 17, 2012

My Insurance Theme Song!

Two nights ago, David and I went to pick up my prescriptions, only to be astounded by the price they quoted us.  To be fair, we had been warned about this months ago from his school, but when it never happened at the first of the year, we honestly forgot about it (that was our mistake).  Suddenly, all of our co-pays (prescription and office visits) are doubled and our deductibles are higher.  For the average person who gets two or three "regular" scripts a month, this isn't a big deal.  For a CFer who gets 5 or more "rare" drugs a month, this is a huge financial drain.

Because of all of this, I spent all day yesterday on the phone with insurance companies, patient assistance companies, and pharmacies.  It was an exhausting day.  I cried a few times, wanted to yell a few times, and sat frustrated most of the time.  We pay $600 every month for insurance. This was awesome with last year's coverage, but this year it's a bit harder to make ends meet.  We did manage to get a few co-pays taken care of via patient assistance programs, but the reality is I still have to find a job (and fast).

About the tenth time I asked, "Hi, what was your name again? Ok, thanks," (always get names of people you talk to when dealing with this stuff!) I decided I needed to take a break and put on Muse (the equivalent of musical Xanax to me).  Within a few minutes of listening to one of their singles, Uprising, I was ready to take on the world again!  I decided that this song was, quite fittingly, my insurance theme song!  For those of you who have dealt with insurance companies in detail, please take a listen and tell me what you think!  It doesn't all relate, but I tell you when that chorus came on, I was belting it out!!


Before I watched this video, however, I must say that my parents sadly got the brunt of my ranting and raving about the insurance companies. The fact that insurance companies are all in it for the business of making money rather than helping patients. The fact that they enjoy making us sweat with worry about whether a drug or procedure will be covered.  The fact that they like to make dumb errors just to force us to call in and correct the same mistake four or five times.  Yes, my poor parents got to hear it all yesterday!

All of that said, David and I are figuring it out slowly and surely, and I promise that the insurance companies will NOT destroy us!! :) 

4 comments:

  1. I hate insurance companies! I also don't think schools take very good care of their employees. I get my insurance through the school I work at and pay for the "best" insurance. It still sucks when it comes to my CF care and takes a huge chunk of my paycheck while demanding very high co-pays.

    Funny thing is it pays 100% for my pregnancy! No co-pays, no hidden fees, it cost me nothing. I am starting to realize that the trick is to not be born with a chronic illness because that is where they get you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that it's starting to look at least a little better! And you have NO idea what a huge smile the image of you belting out that song while preparing to call the insurance companies back put on my face. ;) Totally made my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don’t feel bad, Megan. It can happen to the best of us. Maybe that’s not the convenient time for you. And never think that your insurance company will wipe you out. It might come in handy in times of emergencies.

    Keith Andrew

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please check back as I sincerely try to write back on any comments given.