Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Tale of the Crazy Ovulating Lady

**As you can PROBABLY infer from the title of this post, this is not a post for the squeamish. Those who can't handle words like mucus or cervix should just wait for the next post.**

I have never seen a complete episode of Friends.  I know, this probably makes me as un-American as one can be, but it's the truth.  The funny thing is, I vividly remember one certain scene from the show.  I have no idea who was trying to get pregnant, but someone had used an OPK kit and demanded that they have sex immediately, despite the fact that they were babysitting someone else's (possibly Rachel's) child.  I saw this scene, laughed, and thought, "I'll never be like that. That's just crazy."

Well, my dear friends, I'm crazy.

Yesterday mid-morning, when I got my smiley face on my OPK, I planned on jumping my husband the minute he walked through the door.  Due to various circumstances, it didn't happen the way I planned, and I figured "Meh, we'll take care of it soon enough."  We had a dinner date with my parents and I picked up a gallon of Grapefruit juice on the way, per a friend's suggestion, as a possibility to thin my previously non-existent cervical mucus.

I drank down a cup of the grapefruit juice, which was DELICIOUS, and figured if nothing else it was healthy for me.  For those of you wondering, I did check to make sure no medications interacted with it. Thankfully, none of them do.  Some women have suggested Robitussin or Mucinex, but the former has made my lungs really junky in the past which in turn made me nervous to try either.  Grapefruit juice seemed like such a natural and easy attempt. It was worth a try.

We had a great dinner, came home, enjoyed our evening and went to bed.  I did two things prior to sleeping, I checked my cervical mucus which was non-existent, and I did another OPK, because I was 50% thinking the first one was just a fluke. Sure enough, there was still a smiley face. My husband was thrilled too, which I never expected.  Who knew a couple could be so happy about ovulation? Honestly.

I slept hard, and woke up this morning to my phone going off. I checked my mucus again, not expecting anything different this soon after drinking the juice.  Well, I now get the whole term: egg-white cervical mucus.  I can tell you that grapefruit juice is pretty amazing stuff.  I sat there for about 3 minutes in utter disbelief.  Then, I became...crazy ovulation lady.

I ran out of the bathroom, woke up my still sleeping husband and all I could say is, "NOW!" Nothing else mattered at that point in time. There could have been tornado sirens going off and I wouldn't have cared. Needless to say, my husband thinks I'm crazy.  Heck, I think I'm crazy.  Never in a million years did I expect to be crazy about ovulating.  Perhaps it's because I've been waiting for over half a year to experience EWCM, who knows.  Regardless, I get it now..I get why women go crazy over ovulating - I've officially joined the club.

4 comments:

  1. OK I have to admit that this post made me laugh so hard I started coughing! ;) It's pretty crazy the things that TTC will do to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have been there and it had great results :) My husband had a 10 hour day, got home late, and was eating dinner. I got my egcm and cramps and became the psycho woman you speak of despite the fact we both had to get up early. The things we do for our unborn children. Best of luck and hey maybe do it again to day just in case...you never know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My spelling mistakes are enough to make me blush. Ewcm not egcm and today...gah! Anyway best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy, I'm SO happy that it made you laugh!! It is ridiculous, that's for sure.

    Inhaling Hope, I'm so glad that you understand this post so well. I hope your luck rubs off on me! :) Don't worry about the spelling errors, I knew exactly what you meant.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please check back as I sincerely try to write back on any comments given.