Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Road Ahead

So, I haven't posted much fertility information recently and decided it was time for a brief update.

David and I had our last genetic test done up at U of C and we are still waiting for the results of that news.  I also had my liver test done (due to my high liver enzyme levels), and they came back...NORMAL! Such great news!!! My doctors aren't concerned about IVF in regards to my liver, and once the genetic tests come back all of my doctor approvals will be in.  As far as I can tell, this is our last step before we are ABLE to start IVF.

That said, we've made the decision (I still need to talk to the doctor fully about it) to try IUI first. I just want to try doing the less invasive first, especially since I've now ovulated for two cycles.  I feel like this may be the smart approach, and then if it doesn't work we can head into IVF knowing that we tried the least invasive measure first.  Before doing IUI, however, I am going to try a month of mucinex to see if I can thin out my cervical mucus even more.  I'm not holding on to any hope for it to work, but I figure it's worth a try.

So for now, the game plan is to try one cycle with the mucinex, and then move on to IUI for at least 3 cycles before reevaluating.  We did decide to still try naturally for this current cycle. Oddly enough, I think I have become so used to getting BFNs that I'm not focusing on "pregnancy symptoms" this month.  I'm a week past ovulation now (with EWCM, YAY!) and normally I start seeing everything as a sign, but this time absolutely NOTHING.  Very odd for me, but it's nice to not be obsessing over it for once. :)

Hoping everyone else is doing well and feeling healthy! 

3 comments:

  1. Good luck!!! I'm rooting for you guys.

    I definitely think you hit a point where it has gone on so long that your hopes are kind of crushed. I hardly ever get my hopes up at all anymore, and even when I do, I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that I just KNOW there is no way I could be pregnant. That said, after my first really hard experience last spring with thinking I was pregnant and then not being pregnant after all, I have never been a huge obsesser. I am definitely not the person who is testing days before the official test day... I'm more the person who just expects her period to come and can't bear to see another BFN test, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay about the liver test!! What a relief! So glad you two were able to come to a decision. I am so hopeful that you will have a little one in the not to distant future. Best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Cindy for the rooting! As always, I am very appreciative. I think you're completely right. I no longer test, and now I'm not even looking at symptoms. I do think part of it is due to working though. I don't have nearly as much time to sit and analyze "symptoms."

    Inhaling, Thank you! I am so happy about the liver test as well!! I appreciate your hoping for us! It means a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please check back as I sincerely try to write back on any comments given.