Thursday, January 19, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup - My Way

When I feel depressed, food is my cure.  I love making something warm and delicious to ease whatever sadness I may be feeling.  Yesterday, my choice of medicine was chicken noodle soup.  I've been asked about the recipe before, so I figure it's time to post it.

This is not TRULY homemade soup as I use a lot of purchased ingredients (including my broth).  The nice thing is that this recipe is an easy and fast way to make a comforting dish.  I always serve this with buttered bread, and even though we both eat at least 2 bowls, this recipe provides meals for a couple of days.  The other reason I love this recipe is that it is so easy to adapt to your own wants and needs.

Ingredients:
2 TB butter
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
2 cloves garlic
1 pound chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
6 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
2 - 4 c. water (depending on your own preference of how watered down you want it)
2 c. sliced carrots (I usually use frozen carrots as they are easier and cheaper)
2 c. egg noodles
1 tsp (or more) of dried basil
1/2 tsp (or more) of dried oregano
1/2 tsp of poultry seasoning*
1/4 tsp of sage*
1/4 tsp of thyme*
1/4 tsp of rosemary*
*Note: I use a lot of spices as they are our personal preference.  I know it seems like an odd combination, but it works so well.  I originally started off just adding in basil and oregano, however, and it was also delicious that way.

Directions:
1. In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.  Add in onion, celery, and  uncooked chicken.  Continue to cook over medium heat until onion and celery are tender, and chicken is almost done.

2.  Turn heat to medium-high and add in chicken broth and water.  Allow to simmer together, stirring occasionally.
3. Add in carrots, noodles, and all seasonings.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes before serving.  Stir occasionally.
4. Enjoy!! 

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmm... sounds delicious!!! Homemade chicken noodle is one of my absolute favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is one of my favorites as well. It's just such an easy way to have a warm, comforting, and tasteful bowl of soup. So much better than canned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so cold and rainy yesterday(winter is finally here)that I decided to try your recipe today. Of course today it was sunny and warm today hahah..figures! Thanks for the recipe it was AMAZING!! I haven't had chicken noodle in a long time. Kinda strange, but the only thing I did different was when I served it I sliced avocado into it. My husband got me addicted to slicing avocado in any chicken based soup and now soup doesn't seem right without it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh YAY! I'm so happy that you used the recipe, enjoyed it, and made it even better! I'll have to try sliced avocado, as I am definitely a fan. Did you use all the spices, or just stick to the basic oregano and basil (just out of curiosity)?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please check back as I sincerely try to write back on any comments given.