Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Two Thanksgivings = a very happy belly!

Wow, it's hard to believe that Turkey day is finally upon us! For the past 5 years now, David and I have been enjoying two Thanksgiving dinners every year.  It's really the best way go about the holidays if you ask us because we get to experience each holiday we love twice!

This year, we will be spending the day before Thanksgiving with my family.  My parents are making turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, cranberry casserole, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, homemade potato rolls, and I'm bringing corn casserole and strawberry fluff.  My mom is also taking the time to make a pecan pie which ought to be quite delicious as my mom is a pretty good baker!  For those of you who do not live in the United States, it's probably hard to fathom this much food for a small family get together.  It's a lot of preparation and dedication in order to get it all on the table in time, and we always feel bloated and tired a few hours after enjoying our meal.  Despite the work, it's worth it when you bite into that savory turkey! Thankfully, I'm enjoying two meals without any of the work (other than  little bit of clean-up)!!!

Actual Turkey day will be spent with David's mother, his brothers, their wives, and their children, and his great-aunt. It should be a fantastic day filled with more good food and lots of enjoyment with our 1 1/2 year old nephew and almost 2 year old niece.  My mother-in-law always goes above and beyond with Thanksgiving dishes as well.  We usually have a very similar menu to the one my parents make, but she also makes an amazing lasagna or mac % cheese every year as well. Absolutely delicious.  Usually we spend the majority of the day there afterward just hanging out with the family, and I'm looking forward to it this year!

Tomorrow, prior to heading to my parents, we will be making a trip to U of C for the sperm analysis to be completed.  My husband wasn't happy having to take a day off of work for it, but it has to be done and it seemed like a 5 hour day right before  holiday was the best time for a sub to take over.  The kids are going to be completely done with learning anyway for that day.  

As we get so very close to Thanksgiving, I want to share two things that I am grateful for today.  The first wonderful blessing was a visit from my college roommate and one of my best friends.  She is one of the best women in the world, and I am so blessed to have gotten to know her as well as I have over the years.  A couple of years ago, she moved away from Illinois with her husband and therefore only makes occasional trips back here.  She is in town for her birthday this year, and she took the time out of her schedule to stop by, have dinner, and just hang out like we did back in our college days. It was so wonderful!! What a blessing!

I am also grateful for insulin.  Up until this summer, I have put off going on insulin for as long as possible. Once hearing that I had to gain the weight, I reluctantly started using it.  Well, with Thanksgiving here, I am so grateful to be on it now.  I used to restrict myself, especially at holidays, but this year I'm eating as much as I want of anything and everything.  I'll be able to just cover myself with insulin and not worry about it.  Look out turkey...here I come!!

I doubt I will post again before Thursday so I sincerely wish you all a blessed, family-filled, safe, and happy Thanksgiving!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please check back as I sincerely try to write back on any comments given.